Railway Stations had Green & White enamel Target signs which
were generally mounted on the Station's lampposts as in the
picture from Seaton Junction Station, shown on the right,
that was taken in 1962.
The unflanged signs were mounted on a
wooden backing board down the centre of the sign, which was
then attached to the post or in some cases to the station
Over the period
of their use targets were produced with a variety of different sizes and
layouts. Words such as 'Halt' were put on the green round section under the
With nationalisation of the Railways in 1948 a corporate image Totem sign
was introduced and in most targets were replaced in the early 1950's.
stations retained them even when totems had been introduced,
either as a mixture of both or sometimes just keeping the
targets. An example of this was DORKING NORTH which only had
targets right up until it received "Modern Image" signs.